Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2022

Mini reviews #38

Mystery in the Channel (1931) by Freeman Wills Crofts. Inspector French investigates among the French in this vintage murder mystery. Two bankers are found dead on a steamer going from England to France, and a large amount of money has gone missing. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and was especially entertained by the fact that characters are able to remember very specific details and discuss them at length. For example, a man working behind a till happens to glance at the serial numbers on small bank notes used in a transaction then, later, when the police put out a list of around a million serial numbers that cashiers should be on the lookout for, he instantly realises it’s a match! Very much reality according to FWC, and rather endearing for that.


Fletch (1974) by Gregory McDonald. Before I started reading this highly popular 1970s macho ‘comic’ mystery, I was warned: ‘it hasn’t aged well’. That, it seems, was an understatement. Surely, even in 1974, a roguish hero who establishes his charming roguery by psychologically terrorising his various ex-wives and raping a 15 year-old with substance abuse issues can’t have been unproblematic? I was disgusted by this book. The mystery element is generic and has certainly been done better elsewhere.

 

The Other Woman (2016) by Sandie Jones. A friend on Twitter recommended this novel after a Reddit post recounting real-life parallels to the events Jones describes emerged. It is a powerful, character-driven debut. A light-read domestic noir, The Other Woman marries the Perfect Husband and Mother-in-Law From Hell tropes.


True Crime Story (2021) by Joseph Knox. Presented as a true crime book, I read this novel because there was a whole ‘thing’ about people mistaking it for an actual true crime book and getting angry at the author. Knox, after all, features as a character/narrator and is not presented rosily. Interviews, newspaper reports, emails, and commentaries form the bulk of this narrative, which centres on the disappearance of a student from Manchester University. I’m fascinated by this cultural moment when a lot of especially male writers are including themselves as characters in their novels. And I did not solve this mystery!


The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window (2022 miniseries, Netflix). I’m surprised this miniseries is as popular as it is because, while I found it very funny, I wouldn’t have expected many people to. It reminds me of when I try to do comedy – the jokes don’t quite land because it always turns out I’m assuming people are equally as obsessed with the topic as I am. But this comedy mystery series, which hits every single trope of the cynical modern domestic noir does it so well that it could almost be an example of that very phenomenon. That said, I don’t know anyone who failed to spot the killer.  It doesn’t matter, though. The comedy is there, and it works.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting to read your mini review. I like how they cover a variety of styles and thank you for taking one for the team with Fletch. It sounds horrendous!
    What do you think you will read next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It truly is, but is still fondly remembered by so many. I have enough recently-read books to keep reviews going til next year if I ever got round to doing this properly. But I'm currently reading a very fun forthcoming debut called Death at the Pier by Jamie West. Then, I'm going to dig out my one Mary Roberts Rhineheart because I've never read her novels.

      Delete
    2. Wow that is very forward thinking! A whole year!
      Which Rinehart do you have? I think The Bat was my favourite of hers, followed by The Yellow Room.

      Delete
    3. The Man in Lower Ten -- not one I've ever seen/heard discussed so I have no idea what it's like!

      Delete
    4. I know of it and even put it in my Coffee and Crime boxes a couple of times, but not read it. The synopsis did sound quite intriguing though.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I too spotted the killer in TWAtSFtGitW around the middle 8f episode one, but at least it led to the funniest/creepiest fight to the death at the end. The general response has been problematic. I wonder if, by adhering so very closely to the thing it was parodying, if it didn’t lose fans of both domestic noir and comedy.

    ReplyDelete